Maintaining the privacy of the personal information Education Payroll holds is critical to maintaining
the trust and confidence of schools’ employees, the Ministry of Education on whose behalf we
manage the payroll payments, and the general public.
The purpose of this privacy statement is to let users of Education Payroll services know how we
collect personal information and what we do with it.
Collection and use of personal data
Education Payroll is responsible for managing the payroll records and payments of both teaching and
non-teaching employees across the New Zealand state integrated schooling sector.
We will use information we collect from you for the primary purpose of processing accurate payroll
and payroll-related payments. This includes the release of relevant information to third parties
involved in the payroll process.
Personal information is collected through the following methods:
1. Electronically submitted through Novopay Service Desk Application (NSDA)
2. Hard copy forms
3. EdPay (a digital channel for schools to directly enter and manage payroll instructions)
4. Telephone call recording.
As part of our commitment to providing the best possible service to our customers, we record all
inbound and outbound telephone calls. This helps us to identify ways that we can provide you with a
We record calls:
- for staff training purposes, helping us to improve the quality of our customer service and to ensure the information we receive and provide is consistent and accurate for reporting on the types and numbers of enquiries we receive
- to find/investigate ways to simplify our service to you
- to ensure we have an accurate record of your call, which may be needed to support any
transactions or conversations that take place over the phone and/or if there is a dispute.
Storage of call recordings
Calls are recorded using secure call-recording software. The recordings are kept for up to 10 years
after the date of the call, after which they will be securely destroyed.
Holding of information
Your personal information will be held by Education Payroll in line with the Privacy Act 2020 storage of personal information requirements, and the Public Records Act 2005.
Sharing your information
There will be times when Education Payroll is required to share your personal information with third
parties, such as authorised users (school principals and payroll administrators), Inland Revenue,
Ministry of Education, Ministry of Justice, Accident Compensation Corporation, and nominated
financial institutions, for the payment of salaries and other payroll-related payments.
The general reason information is disclosed to these parties is for the purposes of tax and
superannuation, benefit payments, union membership payments, employment checks, and systems
If we are required to share your information, we will only disclose information to those organisations
that provide services in relation to the effective delivery of the schools’ payroll, including, but not
- persons to whom we may be required to pass your information to for legal, governmental or
regulatory reasons, including the Ministry of Education
- aggregated user statistics and other information that does not personally identify you, to third parties such as unions debt collection agencies or companies, in order to collect any debt in respect of overpayments.
Education Payroll also engages with a number of third parties who:
- assist us in protecting the operation of the Education Payroll systems and networks, including the use of monitoring and detection tool to identify potential threats, such as hacking and virus dissemination and other security vulnerabilities
- host or maintain data centres, service platforms and other infrastructure and systems to process and hold your information on our behalf.
Education Payroll is committed to ensuring that your information is secure. In order to prevent
unauthorised access or disclosure we have put in place suitable physical, electronic and managerial
procedures to safeguard and secure your information.
Updates of Education Payroll practices
We reserve the right to change this policy. Your continued use of Education Payroll’s services means
you will be bound by the amended policy. We will communicate changes to this policy via our
regular newsletter to school payroll administrators.
Rights of access and correction
Under the Privacy Act 2020, you have the right to access and to request correction of your personal information provided to Education Payroll. Please contact your school administrator if you would like to inquire, view or correct your personal information we hold. Education Payroll may require proof of your identity before being able to provide you with any personal information.
If you’re not satisfied with our response to any privacy-related concern you may have, you can contact our Privacy Officer or the Privacy Commissioner:
EPL Privacy Officer
PO Box 12 141, Wellington 6144, New Zealand
Office of the Privacy Commissioner
PO Box 10 094 Wellington, New Zealand
Phone: 04 474 7590, Enquiries Line (from Auckland): 302 8655, Enquiries Line (from outside
Auckland): 0800 803 909
Fax: 04 474 7595
Privacy Commissioner Website